Prep soccer: Morris scores fast, Weber hangs on to 1-0 win over Fremont

Thursday , April 19, 2018 - 6:57 PM

PLEASANT VIEW — Weber’s boys soccer team has scads of goalscoring chances each match. The Warriors just can’t quite seem to translate those chances into a three- or four-goal showing.

But they’re still in first place in Region 1, a familiar position for the two-time defending region champions.

Thursday, it took just 1:40 for Eric Morris to score the decisive goal on a quick passing move and Weber (8-2, 6-1 Region 1) held firm the rest of the way for a 1-0 win over rival Fremont.

> See a full photo gallery of the game

The Warriors had several seniors in the starting lineup Thursday, and those seniors have been through the past two region-championship campaigns.

The team’s experience has aided the Warriors’ strong start and Morris says it’s what they’ll lean on the rest of the way. For now, they’re going to work on finishing the chances they get.

One of the first things said in the post-match huddle was that the score could’ve been 3-0 or 4-0, and it very well could have ended that way judging how Weber sliced through Fremont (6-6, 3-4) in the first 20 minutes.

“We work on a lot of finishing drills, that’s what’s driving me crazy ... it’s going to come. Last year, the two (forwards) took off and really scored a bunch last year. It’ll break,” Warriors head coach Jan Swift said.

Two minutes after the goal, Colby Lee had a stinging shot from 20 yards out saved and cleared away by Fremont keeper Brody Manore. The danger quickly returned on another quick passing move that ended in a corner kick in the ninth minute.

Morris blasted a shot over the bar, then Lee nearly made it 2-0 — but his first-time curling effort from 20 yards was saved. The first 20 minutes were free-flowing and attack-oriented.

“I think we were just playing well through the middle. Any time we can get the ball from our center defensive midfielder to the attacking midfielder to our forwards and back, we tend to open up teams a bit more and find lots of space,” Morris said.

And then it ground to a halt. Neither team fashioned a decent chance the rest of the first half. The Silver Wolves collected their composure and prevented Weber from getting the open shots they had the first 20 minutes.

Max Price, Weber’s second-leading goal scorer, had a snapshot chance go wide in the 53rd minute before he blasted an effort over the goal from 10 yards out.

Fremont falls into a tie with Northridge in fourth place at 3-4 after the loss, but Silver Wolves head coach Fred Smith was pleased with how some of his substitutes played.

He believes Fremont can make the playoffs, and the performance of the subs gave him and the staff confidence regarding the playoff race.

“That’s encouraging for us that we know we can rely on players like that, and it was really nice to see them step up in a big game. That’s what you want when you’re building up a team,” Smith said.

You can reach prep sports reporter Patrick Carr at Follow him on Twitter at @patrickcarr_ or like him on Facebook at

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.